Thursday, May 6, 2010

Angel Densetsu / Kyou Kara Ore Wa



In my "Japan has the most violent schools in the world" series, I've got 2 favorites. Apparently this is an entire genre where people just get into fights at school. Over and over, every issue. So they have to be pretty decent to keep my interest. (I read over 80 chapters of Worst and I don't remember one thing about it.)

Angel Densetsu has a pretty entertaining angle, although I admit, it does get worn out after a while. On the other hand, right when it's getting really stale, the writer calls it quits, so it's all good.

The angle is: Seiichirou Kitano is a new transfer student who looks like satan incarnate. He has all the stereotypical features of pure evil. The author was very explicit. But the poor kid is actually a really nice guy. He just wants to help everyone get along, and usually misreads every situation. He can't help how he was drawn.

It's a pretty funny series, although the joke does get a little old after awhile. There are a few serious moments, too.

This manga is the creation of Norihiro Yagi, who continues to write Claymore. He has a rather unique art style, and you can see it evolve in this series, and throughout Claymore. Claymore is worth mentioning, although it's a totally different type of book, very solemn/serious, and with the added no-fail cliche of teenage girls in armed combat. Without too much armor on, of course...it would just slow them down.

Claymore is set in a fantasy realm where demons are eating the hapless peasants. They can only be fought by the aforementioned (and naturally superhuman) teenage girls. This is actually addressed as a plot point later on, believe it or not. Overall, I think it's definitely worth a look, although the plot has lost my interest somewhat lately.



Back to fighting in high school. Constantly. There's another series I recently found (it's only recently being translated and posted at onemanga, although I believe both these series were published in the early 90's) called Kyou Kara Ore Wa, which means, From Today, It's My Turn. Bitches.

This book, when I think about it objectively, has done a surprisingly good job of keeping my interest. Generally, it follows the same formula of nonstop fighting, and everyone heals at a rate Wolverine would be jealous of, so they can fight again the next day. But it's actually supposed to be a comedy, and I think it's a pretty good one.

The hook is: 2 supposedly normal guys happen to transfer to a new school on the same day. The day before, they both go to a hair salon and get a ridiculous hair style. The plan is: now that I've moved to a new school, no one knows me. I'm going to act like I've always been a badass. The thing is, they bump into each other on the way in, looking normal, and on the way out, looking EXTREME. Is life in Japan really this simple? I guess that's why the middle aged ladies tried to by drugs from me while I was standing in the street. Long hair = DRUG DEALER.

So when they get to school they obviously can't just act tough, they have to beat the shit out of everyone. So they do. That's a pretty good summary of everything I've read so far, but check it out. It's a lot better than it sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment