Monday, May 24, 2010

Where I Began...

I Remember as a kid seeing Mazinger and Speed Racer on TV in spanish, and thinking it was the coolest thing I ever saw. When I moved to the states I remember watching Robotech aka Macross (the original series is still one of my favorites) and thinking that there is something different about these shows compared to other cartoons being shown at the time. In high school I was introduced to Akira which lead me to getting into anime. I watched it for years. Countless episodes of many series and many different genres.

Along the way I met Danny who was also into anime, which at the time was rare because it was not very popular back then. Well, he was the one who introduced me manga. I've been into it ever since.

I generally tend to like manga with really good artwork. Of course the story is just as important, but I can deal with a mediocre one so long as the art is well done. That being said, here are a few titles that more or less cover the spectrum on quality.

Stuff with both great art and good storyline in my opinion include: Akira and Monster

Good art, not so good story: Tenjou Tenge


Not so good art (although not terrible), but good story (so far): Sundome


I hope to go more into detail on most of these at a later date. All titles are available through amazon or ebay or your local book store.

No comments:

Post a Comment